Shutting down is easy stuff – numbing out keeps the painful emotions at bay. Who want to feel like crap? Over the past couple of days I’ve noticed this trend from the people around me. It’s only natural to want to protect yourself from being hurt, but when it gets in the way of your happiness there’s a huge problem. People want to stay in relationships and numb themselves out, decide not to try anymore because they’re tired of being hurt. Others want to avoid love and friendships because they’ve been let down one too many times. It’s easy to understand the reasoning; you don’t want to end the whole relationship, but there’s just this one thing you that drives you crazy – and you’re obviously the issue – or people suck and they have always and will always let you down.
Now, right here is where I get a tad (a lot) preachy. The best stuff happens when you stay open. Learn it, love it, live it. It’s the truth, I promise. This post isn’t specific to relationships, but it seems like everyone in my circle is facing romantic trials and that is what moved me to post this reminder today. Love period isn’t you’re problem, friendships period aren’t your problem; it all falls on the type of people you ALLOW – as in choose – to come (and stay) into your life.
Don’t let good things pass you by because you’re afraid of what has happened before, i.e. don’t shit on your blessings when they finally come along because you’re afraid they’re going to screw you over or you’re going to screw it up. The best things happen in those moments when it seems everything has fallen to pieces and you choose to remain vulnerable – not weak, OPEN.
How many different ways can I say it so it will finally stick:
- Faith will take you to heights you never dreamed of.
- Don’t just accept pain, use it as a catalyst for change.
- The best is yet to come if only you will keep your heart and mind open to the blessings that are meant for you.
- The Universe/God(dess)/Buddha/Tree Frog/Whatever is conspiring in your favor and the only way to receive the goodness is to remain open.
- Maybe you don’t believe in a higher power. In which case, you are the author of your own story. You get to choose to make things better/let better things come to you.
Enough ranting/preaching. It’s hard and I know it is, I’m not here to lie to you about how easy it is to make this choice, but I can promise you that better things await you if you learn from the past while you stay open for future blessings. You’re not alone.
For more inspiration: Part Manifesto Part Letter: Stay Open